Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Heirlooms from my grand-mother.



                                                             Chapter II
And now let's turn to Molly's possessions. I still have some of her things! I suppose the item/s I value the most is her tea set. Her china was hand painted - tiny red roses, bone china with gold painted highlights. The cups are quite small compared to today's sizes though they are exquisite to hold.

Probably made at the turn of the 18th/19th centuries.
Here is her sterling silver teapot, hot-water and milk jugs


Here, too, is another item from her household. I wonder if you can guess what it does?

It's the Victorian equivalent to an electric blanket! You unscrew the center cap and pour in hot-water - screw it up again and then the maid passes the 'warming pan' between the sheets before you go to bed.

Similarly this... Any guesses? (apart from a nice copper jug for flowers).
It would have sat on the rear of a kitchen range with water in it - awaiting a call from one of the bedrooms for the hot water to be brought up for bathing.

This  classic 'Yorkshire' rocking chair might have been set beside the kitchen range...


I suppose the grandest item I have of hers is her side-board/dresser - which I'm guessing she bought.

The drawer handles are brass rings and the little cupboards each side still have working locks.

The oldest item I have - which I believe came from my father's home - is this blanket chest that has obviously been in the family since Shakespeare's time. The date on the front is 1656 - it has the original hinges. It smells old!


And now two classic silhouettes of the twins - probably commissioned just before she died - from a Hills & Saunders of Eton.



They are proudly displayed in our front entry hall.

And now I'd like to introduce you to FSH - Frederick Seymour Horan - Molly's husband, the twin's father and my grandfather - whom I did meet and can remember. More about him next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment